The Schulte family farm in the village centre has a history of 350 years and is the oldest agricultural estate in Lohe. By the second generation, the estate had had to be divided in four (Berens, Janzen, Hermes/now Moedden). These four agricultural establishments still exist in the village centre. 1894 Lohe consisted of 100 people living in 14 families (4 landowners and 10 dependent landless cottagers). Around the year 1900 Lohe had 87 inhabitants. In 1928 a new district developed when farmers distributed heath land close to the forest Karlswald to 14 settlers. Including the estate Mariannenhof, which was built in 1918, the settlement Loher Field consists of 15 houses. Loher Field consisted of further heath land with sandy dunes and moor areas. The settlers had to cultivate the land through hard physical work in order to use it agriculturally. Looking at the beautiful houses in Loher Field, one can hardly imagine the difficult conditions when the place was populated seven centuries ago. In 1938 a small chapel was constructed in Loher Field. As the church in Bokeloh was too far away, Loher Field became a part of the congregation of Apeldorn. After the Second World War Loher Field had its own bell tower. In 1996 a beautiful new bell tower was built in the centre of the district.
The construction of the railway from Meppen to Haseluenne in 1894 contributed significantly to Lohe's development. Schleper had its own train station. However, the station building was knocked down at the beginning of the 17th C.
Lohe developed slowly over the centuries. As it was located outside the military boundary we have little information about these centuries. Life was determined by the seasons. Although Lohe was not affected by the Second World War, it was not spared from gipsies and people wandering around and grinding scissors (see Holger Lemmermann's reports in his book). Agriculture was the only source of income for Lohe. While ash tree areas were cultivated, the extensive meadows and wastelands served as sheep farming land. In the first half of the18th C. forests were created in order to avoid sand drifts and dunes. As late as 1919, when teacher Johannes Domini started to teach in the village school, vast heath land existed between Lohe and Schleper.