Page 1 of 3
"The idyllic and beautiful village
of Lohe is located in the east of Meppen, two hours from the city, in the
parish of Bokeloh, on the right hand shore of the river Radde, which flows
from Huemmling and is a tributary stream of the river Hase..."
according to the school chronicle of Lohe, which dates back to 1894. According
to Royal Prussian government law of Osnabrueck all schools had to write
a chronicle from 1894 onwards. These documents did not only contain data
about the schools themselves but also about local history. The chronicle
of Lohe is the only one that has been published as a book, by an association
of local history called "Verein fuer Heimat- und Brauchtumspflege Lohe
e.V." in 1995.
Analyzing the meanings of village names in the Ems-area, Abels has provided
us with information on the word "lo" (also Laa, Lohe). According
to him it indicates a small forest with a natural or artificial clearing.
Around the year 1000 Lohe was described as a farming community on the river
Radde and was called "Laa". Teacher Sievermann also did research
on the name Lohe. He claims that "the word is related to wood, as the
bark of oak trees is used as "Lohe" to tan leather." There
were and still are numerous oaks in Lohe, so this explanation seems plausible.
There is no information about the original settlement of Lohe. However,
3 urns were found during construction work on the railway track in Schleper
in 1890. According to a myth, the son of a farmer from Doergen cleared
a forest and founded Lohe. Lohe is first mentioned in a charter on
August 19, 1020, when the tithe payments (10% of the farmers' harvests)
to the church in Meppen were documented by emperor Konrad II. According
to another tradition the village was founded by Ludolf von Langen with two
loyal farmers in the twelfth century. Lohe is an ancient farming community
that has always belonged to the Catholic parish of Bokeloh. The village
Schleper belonged to the school administration of Lohe. Abels explains the
name Schleper as follows: "it can mean: an area sloping to lowland.
A farming community close to Haseluenne has the same name. Schleper M. Bernd
zum Schleper lived there in 1624."