Page 1 of 3
Historical documents prove that the village Andrup has already existed for
a very long time. In 947 it belonged to the county "del Sigibert" and even before, in 822,
the estate "ton keseforden" (kese = cheese, forden = fort) was mentioned.
Haseluenne's history was strongly shaped by the convent Corvey and the "Burgmaenner"
von Schatte and Monnich. Close to the entrance of the village, Mr von Schatte
built the castel Schwakenburg which was already mentioned in 1336.
Later, the gentlemen von Monnich constructed the estate "Eickhoff"
at the back of the village.
It seems, however, that the "Burgmaenner" von Langhals founded
the Schwakenburg. On December 4, 1439, Claus von Langhals sold the estate to
Engelbert von Langen. Later the Burgmann Rolf von Schatte took possession of
the estate. After he died without leaving behind children, ownership changed
to the gentlemen von Langen. Rolf von Schatte's sister Gertrud was the wife
of Engelbert von Langen of Meppen and Kreyenborg (near Lehrte). Their oldest
son, Rolf von Langen, became the owner of the Schwakenburg in 1458.
In the warlike times that followed the Schwakenburg was burnt down during
an invasion of Oldenburg's earls in 1538. Then-owner Andreas von Langen did
not receive any loss compensation. On February 14,1631 the estate was handed
over to Michael Kobolt von Tambach by the bishop Franz Wilhelm von Wartenberg
As a result of probate disputes the whole estate was sold in a compulsory
auction 100 years later. One of Haseluenne's businessmen, Heinrich Russell,
acquired the castle on July 14, 1796 for 13,600 Dutch Guilders. After his death
the property stayed in the possession of his wife for a while. She died in 1839
and handed the Schwakenburg down to her sons and sons-in-law. Finally, Anton
Heyl from Meppen, one of the sons-in-law, became sole proprietor of the estate.
His son Karl offered the castle to the ducal court in Meppen who, however, did
not want to buy it. The estate became derelict and was bought by the farmer
Wilhelm Stolte from Andrup in 1870.