St. Antonius Church

Westerloh remained a pure farming community without industrial companies. However, a residential area with pretty houses developed on the so-called area "Fuhrenkamp". These houses were constructed by "descendants" of villagers who earn their living outside of the village.

The following table summarizes population figures for Westerloh and Westerlohmuehlen:


153 inhabitants
197 inhabitants
1939: 478 inhabitants
(this high number results from the labour camp)
256 inhabitants
275 inhabitants
305 inhabitants
332 inhabitants

Current mayor is Alexander Schulte. The history of Westerlohmuehlen is exactly the same like that of Westerloh, except for one special feature: the mill of Westerlohmuehlen. This is the first mentioned water mill in the Oldenburg feud register. More specific data is found in a cattle register from 1545. The owner of the water mill, Hermann von Westerloh, was one of the four sole heirs in the village. The register "Status Animarum" lists 42 persons (14 under 14 years of age) living in 7 families. This register also mentions that next to the water mill, which was used for grain and was located at the left shore of the river Radde, a paper mill was added on the other side of the river. The grain mill was rented by Otto Brinck and the paper mill by Gerard Henrich Lohe. Furthermore, the village had an inn and a cartwright. Franz Martels, the owner of the paper mill, sold his property to former tenant and paper producer Gerh. Heinr. Lohe, who resold it to Arend Tening in 1782. Gerd Brink, a miller from Dankern, bought the grain mill in 1780. In the same year Wilke Brinkman acquired the grain mill and in 1795 he also bought the paper mill and remodelled it to an oil and felt-mill. His daughter Anna-Maria married miller Joan Bernh. Brunefort in 1806 who carried on the name Brinkmann. The oil-mill was used until 1925; the grain mill became redundant in 1938 because of electrification.
Westerlohmuehlen stayed a pure farming community without new building sites. A further characteristic of this dependent village is that four families consisting of 17 persons belong to Huelsen, three families with 21 persons to Westerloh and two families living in the north of the river Radde belong to Kl. Berssen.

You will find further information about Westerloh on this website






Stadt Haselünne | Rathausplatz 1 | 49740 Haselünne | Tel.: 05961/509-0 | EMail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Öffnungszeiten der Verwaltung

2015 by HoGa Webdesign
Go to top