"The idyllic and beautiful village of Lohe is located in the east of Meppen, two hours from the city, in the parish of Bokeloh, on the right hand shore of the river Radde, which flows from Huemmling and is a tributary stream of the river Hase..." according to the school chronicle of Lohe, which dates back to 1894.
According to Royal Prussian government law of Osnabrueck all schools had to write a chronicle from 1894 onwards. These documents did not only contain data about the schools themselves but also about local history. The chronicle of Lohe is the only one that has been published as a book, by an association of local history called "Verein fuer Heimat- und Brauchtumspflege Lohe e.V." in 1995.
Analyzing the meanings of village names in the Ems-area, Abels has provided us with information on the word "lo" (also Laa, Lohe). According to him it indicates a small forest with a natural or artificial clearing. Around the year 1000 Lohe was described as a farming community on the river Radde and was called "Laa". Teacher Sievermann also did research on the name Lohe. He claims that "the word is related to wood, as the bark of oak trees is used as "Lohe" to tan leather." There were and still are numerous oaks in Lohe, so this explanation seems plausible.
There is no information about the original settlement of Lohe. However, 3 urns were found during construction work on the railway track in Schleper in 1890. According to a myth, the son of a farmer from Doergen cleared a forest and founded Lohe. Lohe is first mentioned in a charter on August 19, 1020, when the tithe payments (10% of the farmers' harvests) to the church in Meppen were documented by emperor Konrad II. According to another tradition the village was founded by Ludolf von Langen with two loyal farmers in the twelfth century. Lohe is an ancient farming community that has always belonged to the Catholic parish of Bokeloh. The village Schleper belonged to the school administration of Lohe. Abels explains the name Schleper as follows: "it can mean: an area sloping to lowland. A farming community close to Haseluenne has the same name. Schleper M. Bernd zum Schleper lived there in 1624."
- Next >>