Lahre is probably one of the oldest settlements in the Ems-area. According to Abels, Lahre can be deduced from "lar" which indicates very old settlements. It can also stand for high-quality pastureland.
After Abels Lahre is mentioned the next time as "Hlare" in an ancient register of the Convent of Werden in 890. In 919 the village is mentioned as being a member of the parish Bokeloh in a document from the inauguration of the church in Bokeloh. The next documentation is found in a certificate in Osnabrueck in 1037. This document states that the abbot of Corvey acquired the churches of Bokeloh and Lahre including the right to receive the farmers' contributions.
No documentation is found about the centuries that followed. However, it is proven that it was a turbulent and warlike period with raids and plundering. The worst plunderers were the Earls of Tecklenburg who attacked the property of the Ravensberg family and of Muenster's bishop. Nobleman Stephan von Duethe from the Ems-area reported in 1364 on the Tecklenburgs' raid against the bishop of Muenster: "...110 cattle, 5 horses and 6 pigs from the village Lahre. There was plundering and one house was burnt down. The village suffered damage of at least 200 German Marks." This report might lead to the assumption that Lahre had a prosperous animal husbandry industry.
The times during the Thirty Years War from 1618 to 1648 were extremely hard. While the region around Haseluenne was not heavily affected in the beginning, the situation worsened in 1622. First, the region was scared of the troupes of the Earl of Mansfeld and then of the Royal troupes. Villages were destroyed and plundered and farmers were robbed. Also the village Lahre was affected. Due to the war, farmers were unable to till their fields. Former wealthy farmer Bernd Jung became a beggar in rags. His estate was totally plundered; no single animal was left in his stable. Furthermore, his stepsister who lived in the castle Kreyenborg was raped by soldiers; this was regarded as a terrible blemish in those days. Quiet times only returned when Dodo zu Inn- und Knyphausen ruled the Ems-area from 1633 to 1638. The East Frisian nobleman worked for Sweden and lived in Meppen. After he died in a battle near Haverbeck in 1638, the warlike situation continued. Shortly before the end of the war, Swedish general Koenigsmark attacked the region. In addition to the plagues of the war, people were faced with the Black Death. The numerous people who died from this disease were buried on the hill "Hilgenberg". Therefore, population figures declined to 21 in 1652, of whom seven were under 14 years of age.
- Next >>