Leaving Haseluenne in the direction of Soegel, after five kilometres you will reach the village of Huelsen, which is surrounded by meadows and forests. It seems that this region was also populated very early, as an amber chain, probably dating back to the Bronze Age, was found at the old Huelsener Lane in 1932.
The name of the village comes from Hulsidon/Hulsedon, where "don" stands for dune. Later Hulsedon changed to Huelsten/Huelsen.
Historic documents mention Hulsedon as early as the year 1000.
During the Thirty Years' War Haseluenne and its surroundings suffered badly. Though there were no major battles in the area, troops were positioned here and brought misery and suffering. According to Geppert/Simme in several villages impoverished farmers sang dirges in their destroyed houses. "Wichmann from Huelsen, his wife, child and servants all died of Black Death."
52 persons lived in the farming community in 1652, whereof 18 were under 14 years old. In 1749 Huelsen consisted of 18 families, five of them were sole heirs and 13 farm labourers. In 1807 Huelsen belonged to the parish of Haseluenne and had 90 inhabitants. The population and buildings register of the parish Haseluenne documents 25 residential buildings and families with 111 inhabitants for the year 1858, and 23 houses and families with 104 inhabitants for the year 1861.
In 1852 a law was passed which enabled farmers to exempt themselves from paying the annual tributes. The inhabitants of Haseluenne and its surrounding villages, for example, had to pay the gatekeepers. In 1854 they could avoid these regular expenses by paying a certain fee once.
Some of the inhabitants of Huelsen emigrated to the United States: in 1839 and 1845 six persons per year and in 1923 one.
Huelsen was also affected by the World Wars. After attacks on Haseluenne, inhabitants fled to Huelsen. These refugees were attacked in the village by low-flying planes; houses were destroyed, but luckily people did not die.
- Next >>