The village Flechum, which consists of three parts, namely Hoeven, Feldhausen and Holthausen, has a long history. The development of Hoeven with its ancient chapel is most interesting.
Ernst Simme states in his essay "The Chapel in Hoeven" that it has probably been a Saxon place of worship. He believes that the chapel was built exactly at this place in order to eliminate the thoughts of the Germanic nature based religion. The chapel was built from the funds of a donation on December 13, 1383.
The name Flechum results from the family name Flechtmen or Flechmen. Several documents of this family are collected in a register in Meppen, the earliest document stems from the year 1383. It is assumed that the family Flachmann was the first owner of the county. This is also backed up by entries in the school's chronicle.
The chapel's founders are recorded with their names in a historic document. They invested huge funds for the chapel's construction and maintenance. Farmers from Lehrte had to tribute 10 percent of their harvest and additional three bushels of oat to Hoeven. Furthermore, the chapel's rector received six bushels of oat for seeding from two couriers. The county also had to organize accommodation for him. Moreover, the rector was entitled to meadows for six cows and all his sheep, a part of the Flechumer forest to feed up four pigs and food for his horse. Due to these generous receipts and rights, which were meant forever, the church was wealthy. However, wars and religious conflicts reduced the fortune. According to the documentation "Haseluenne after the Thirty Years' War" of the priest Engelbert Moeseler from 1650, the receipts of the chapel were reduced significantly. The building itself seemed to be in a poor condition. It was knocked down in 1651 and a new chapel was constructed by Casper vom Monnich zu Eickhof from Andrup. The windows of this chapel carry the date 1652. During a restoration process several years ago, the preserved heraldic figures were integrated into a window of the catholic parish church in Haseluenne. The vicars from Hoeven are testified in historic documents. Today's chapel was built in 1855. Until the First World War the congregation in Hoeven had capital assets of 8,100 German Marks. This sum got lost through the two inflations after the World Wars. Still today services are hold in the chapel on special occasions.
- Next >>